The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Business, Human Resource, or related field.
- 10+ years of experience in the Human Resources field and 3-5 years of management/leadership experience.
- A background in a service business with multiple locations.
- The ability to develop HR programs and policies based on business requirements.
- Strong knowledge in employee relations, labor relations, recruitment, talent management, and payroll/benefits.
- The ability to present technical information to senior management contacts.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to manage diverse employee relations issues.
- High emotional intelligence with the ability to relate well to people at all levels.
- The ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with executives and other human resources colleagues.
- A confident, professional and polished demeanor and a strong work ethic.
- Bilingual in Spanish is highly preferred.
The RoleReporting to the CFO with a dotted-line into the Board of Directors, as HR Manager your job will be to implement HR programs and policies, and to manage every aspect of employee development and relations throughout Ancon Marine’s three operating companies. You’ll oversee a team of three to four Payroll Clerks, and your activities will focus on the following key areas: performance management, benefits and compensation administration, organizational development, employee counseling services, and training.
We have 26 locations, and most of our 500+ employees work out in the field at customer sites. We’ll look to you to promote synergy between field employees, implement policies and keep the lines of communication open at all times and across all levels. It will be your job to ensure that every employee feels respected and cared for as a valued team member.
To summarize, some of your specific responsibilities will be to:
- Maintain all personnel records/files and job descriptions electronically.
- Ensure that all employee and personnel forms, handbooks and records are kept updated and compliant with federal, state and company laws rules and policies with respect to format, accuracy and frequency.
- Administer the 401K program ensuring that all employees receive the required information, reports, updates and access to the fund administrator.
- Coordinate and interface with pension fund brokers, health insurance brokers, and the company’s labor attorney’s office.
- Conduct employee background checks where required and permitted by law and company procedures, especially with regard to prospective employees.
- Report to the company Controller with respect to preparing and providing all information and reports required for matters related to garnishments, workers’ compensation, statistical reporting, health insurance payments and all records subject to audit by various authorities.
- Create employee training and organizational development programs.
- Conduct performance reviews with personnel managers and monitor employee attitudes, productivity, and performance outcomes.
- Manage payroll system and provide staff and directors with the essential reporting in order to help them in managing their employee resources.
- Create compensation plans, benefits and performance management systems.
- Participate as an executive management team member in quarterly director meetings in order to develop and discuss organizational procedures and policies.
- Advise executive board on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity and sexual harassment, and recommend needed changes.
- Serve as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems per employee handbook.
Why Ancon MarineImpact and development -- it should be clear by now that you'll be involved with a wide range of HR duties, both tactical and strategic. With multiple business units and locations, you will have plenty of opportunity to enhance and polish your skills. This is a highly collaborative role where you’ll work with multiple stakeholders on the ground to rollout strategic HR initiatives and create synergies which will achieve key business, profit and people objectives.
Career growth and opportunity -- Ancon promotes from within whenever possible and encourages all our employees to achieve their full career potential. This role is unique because it's core to our overall operations. We're not only looking for an HR professional with the skill and talent to build and develop this role, we're looking for someone with the runway to grow to the next level. Prove yourself a star and you could continue to build your career with Ancon.
Great environment -- we are proud of our low turnover and the high degree of personal loyalty our employees demonstrate. We have a friendly, professional team and a family-oriented atmosphere. People like working here at Ancon, as evidenced by our large number of long-tenured team members.
Commitment to safety and the environment -- we are understandably proud of our highly trained and experienced staff. We have invested heavily in training and new technologies that help Ancon provide up to date turnkey environmental and industrial cleaning, emergency response, professional safety representation, waste minimization and handling services to its customers. Our commitment to safety and regulatory compliance is second to none. Ancon's state of the art training center is open for inspection by appointment and we welcome the opportunity for you to stop by and see first hand our commitment to change and excellence. Our attention to detail and implementation of effective management systems has been one of the keys to our growth and success.
Excellent benefits -- in addition to a competitive salary and bonus structure, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that has everything you’d expect such as health and other insurances and generous PTO, as well as a few surprises, such as a 401(k) and more.
Pictured: Ancon’s transportation fleet includes liquid and solid vacuum equipment, roll-off trucks and rocket launchers, water trucks, flat beds and drum trucks for waste consolidation and management.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have the ability to help us adhere to the many regulations that are imposed at the state and federal level with regard to employment. You should be flexible, nimble and savvy in order to keep the company protected and in compliance with the plethora of regulatory changes that occur in our industry. While you will be highly goal-driven and proactive in your duties, you’ll also be approachable, easy to interact with and visible throughout the company. For example, we expect to remain in compliance in all required areas, but are not looking for the "compliance police." Rather, your style should promote teamwork, cooperation and leadership inside and outside of HR, creating a feeling of partnership across multiple departments.
Additionally, in order to be an outstanding HR Manager you will be a leader who is well-versed at handling multi-location operations. Because of our unique geographical structure, we have employees working at a variety of off-site locations throughout the country. Each of our locations has its unique culture, and we’ll expect you to bring a level of accountability and cohesiveness to the HR policies and procedures across the company.
About UsIn 1968, after acquiring many years of experience and extensive knowledge of the requirements of stevedore and steamship companies, Conrad Hardin “Connie” formed his own company – Ancon Marine Supply and Salvage Co. His aim was to provide the Long Beach and Los Angeles harbors with a first class, full-service organization for shipping companies, cruise lines and other seaport customers. Over the years, he was able to establish Ancon as a dynamic, growing business, to supply general marine equipment and provides a multitude of services.
Connie realized that Ancon had to keep pace with the changing times and progressive methods being implemented by the harbors and industry. He was, therefore, constantly evaluating customers’ needs and was ever ready to diversify Ancon's base of operations to provide the appropriate service. Several divisions spawned from Connie’s forward thinking approach to business and created what we now know as Ancon Marine, Inc. These include Ancon Environmental, Ancon Transportation, and Ancon Marine.
Just a few of the industries Ancon services:
- Oil Production
- Theme Parks
- Food and Beverage
- Power Plants
- Cruise Ships
- Sanitation District